by ROWENA OREJANA
AUCKLAND — Opponents of the controversial “super-brothel” in
the heart of Auckland are relieved that the Chow brothers have backed down from the project.
This came after a lengthy liquor licensing battle.
The Bishop of Auckland’s pastoral assistant, Msgr David Tonks, is
Msgr Tonks, previously an assistant priest at St Patrick’s Cathedral, was one of 220 people who made a submission opposing
“There are probably a lot of people praying that this proposed construction would never come off. And God works in very strange ways at times. There must be a lot of people who are saying, ‘Well, our prayers are being answered in God’s good time’,” he
In his submission, Msgr Tonks argued that the council was trying to
promote the Federal Way area as a family friendly environment, and having sex outlets diminished that goal.
He said it is sad when sex becomes a commodity. “Almost any parent
would be sad that their child would be involved in buying or selling sex,” he added.
While welcoming the news, Family First NZ is still questioning why it was ever approved in the first place.
Family First national director Bob McCoskrie welcomed the decision
not to go ahead with the project.
“The proposed megabrothel was not just a stand alone brothel in
a ‘red light’ area. It was to be part of a building which would be used by children and families because of its restaurants, accommodation and entertainment areas, which could hold wedding receptions, conferences, kids’ activities etc.,” he said.
“But the main issue was that it was also to be located close to residential apartments, hotels, backpacker accommodation, churches, the Auckland City Mission, family restaurants, and opposite the main entrance to a major tourist attraction — Sky City.”
He wondered how it had got approval from authorities in the first
The Herald on Sunday reported the Chows will consider building
apartments or a hotel, or might sell the land, which has been vacant since November, 2010.
by ROWENA OREJANA