A much-needed architecturally-designed science centre was opened at St Mary’s College in Ponsonby on October 14 to cater to its more than 900 students studying science.
The 1700 square metre science faculty space includes eight laboratories, an atrium, breakout space, storage, technical spaces, faculty offices and generous linking corridors.
Named after a former principal of St Mary’s College who was instrumental in fostering the education of girls in science for more than 60 years, the “Mother Bernard Towers Science Centre” addresses the need for further science teaching spaces at the school.
The opening and blessing saw more than 250 members of the St Mary’s College community present including Sisters of Mercy, special guests, students, families and staff. Local MP Nikki Kaye also attended the occasion.
Pa Peter Tipene blessed the building before guests were invited to tour the facilities.
The project cost was $7million and it came in on time and on budget.
St Mary’s College principal Bernadette Stockman gave thanks for the continuing dedication of the Sisters of Mercy to the education of young women.
“We appreciate the inspirational vision of the Board of Directors and Boards of Trustees to meet the growing contemporary and future needs of the college and the support of our families through the PTFA and financial contribution to grow 21st century women of Mercy.
“Their investment in this centre is sending out a message to our young women that science is a part of their future — science is an open window to God’s great gifts.”