Organisers of Auckland’s annual Candlelight Rosary Procession at Sacred Heart College on the first Sunday of October have decided not to carry on with the event.
Co-organiser Colin Pratt said that it was decided that after 20 years, the time had come to finish.

“We thought we are not getting any younger,” Mr Pratt said of the organisers, who have all come from St Mark’s parish in Pakuranga. He also noted that other rosary initiatives had been started — such as a nationwide event that took place on the same day last year.

“That seems to be a busy day on the first Sunday in October for some reason,” he added. “Twenty years seemed a good time” to call time, instead of battling on.

Mr Pratt expressed thanks to the many people who had helped with the event over the years, especially the organising committee and Bishop Patrick Dunn, who was “always a great supporter of us — he has never let us down”.

For many years, Mr Pratt’s wife Mary also helped organise the event. She died in 2014.

The Candlelight Rosary Procession had always had the intention of praying for vocations to the priesthood and religious life. A small sum of money left over from the event has been donated to Bishop Dunn, who told Mr Pratt that he would use it to help support vocations promotion work in the diocese.

Mr Pratt said some people have spoken about taking over the rosary event, but nothing has been put in place that he knows of.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY