by NZ CATHOLIC staff
HELENSVILLE — A new grotto honouring Our Lady was blessed at St Joseph’s Church in Helensville on May 24.

Fr Selvan Benedict, left, and Fr Alfonso Dujali, MSP, alongside the new Helensville grotto.

The statue was blessed by Fr Alfonso Dujali, MSP, assisted by Fr Selvan Benedict.
This is not the first Our Lady Grotto in the parish.
The first was in the convent grounds, constructed to celebrate Mother Imelda’s 25th anniversary and completed in 1958. With the closing of the school and convent in 1971, that statue was returned to the Dominican Sisters.
Today it is in front of St Paul’s Church, Massey.
The new grotto came about after much discussion and debate among parishioners. Construction was by Colin McBride of Waitoki.
The statue was donated to the parish by the father of Fr Mathew Vadakkevettuvazhiyil, SDB, while Fr Vadakkevettuvazhiyil was on a visit home to India.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY